Artie Shaw was the main witness before the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) on 4 May 1953 and was grilled by the committee on his membership in a number of organizations, including the Peace Congress.
“I see nothing wrong with having a bunch of people from different countries coming together and talking about peace,” Shaw, who had served 18 months in the US Navy during World War II, responded.
“Don’t you know that was a Communist fronted party?” the committee member asked.
“If you tell me about a Republican fronted one, I’ll join that,” Shaw replied.
Shaw believed he was brought before the committee due to his outspokenness, especially regarding capitalism. “Capitalism deserves to be debunked,” Shaw said. “You go to war with a country for a few dollars, but you won’t go to war to protect a citizen’s life. We’re out there to protect capital. That’s why I was hauled before HUAC, because I made the major mistake of thinking. Don’t ever do that, at least not in a public way.”
Shaw exiled himself to Spain shortly after his HUAC hearing. “Spain was one of the few countries in the world where nobody knew where you were or who you were,” Shaw said. “I did a lot of fishing, a lot of thinking, and some writing.” But after a few years, Shaw returned to America. “I’m not cut out to be an expatriate. I don’t like wine that much.”